Institutional Lineage and
York College of Pennsylvania
York College’s roots run deep in the history of York, Pennsylvania, going back to a preparatory school affiliated with the Episcopal Church of St. John the Baptist. The school incorporated as the York County Academy in 1787 and came to occupy a building on North Beaver Street.
In the 19th century, a second preparatory school was founded by Samuel Small and colleagues. Its facilities were located at the intersection of Duke Street and College Avenue.
Over the years the York Collegiate Institute extended its grade coverage from high school to the elementary grades.
In the 1930’s the Academy and the Institute merged into a jointly operated school, utilizing the Institute’s facilities.
In the early 1940’s, it was decided to add a junior college program, which grew rapidly after the conclusion of World War II. The junior college soon supplanted the K-12 program, and outgrew the downtown facilities. A new campus on Country Club Road was acquired in 1960. Senior college status was attained in 1968, and York College of Pennsylvania was born.
The College has grown to be a comprehensive regional institution of some 5,300 students, with extensive residential, athletic, and cultural facilities and a broad range of majors and programs
George W. Waldner, Ph.D.
President of York College of Pennsylvania
1991 - 2013